For question 1-7, read the following text and then choose from the list A-J
the best phrase given below to fill each of the spaces.
Each correct phrase may be used only once.
Some of the suggested answers do not fit at all.
Dress codes in the workplace
up until fairly recently,
were somewhat limited in their choice of what to put on in the mornings.
due to a stringent dress code, which when judged by today's standards seems rather boring,
bland and unstylish.
were obliged to wear either calf-length dresses and skirts or businesslike trouser suits,
all in suitable sombre shades and prints.
Accompanying blouses were fastened up to the neck and, for modesty's sake,
no more than two buttons were ever left open.
even on the hottest days, in tights or stockings.
so also had a kind of office 'uniform'.
Fashion etiquette of the times, and the rules rigidly enforced in most workplaces,
demanded men wear drab suits and tasteful matching ties.
was expected to be meticulously well-maintained and highly polished at all times.
Times change, however, and over the past decade
something like fashion revolution has taken place,
especially on the last working day of every week.
Many companies and businesses have accepted the progressive policy of
'casual Fridays', the one day when workers have permission to dress a little more informally.
and it has been implemented virtually nationwide,
but psychologists have proved that this small concession does wonders for staff moral,
job satisfaction and worker productivity.
- Their legs were always clad
- They were designed to make the wearer feel attractive,
- Their male counterparts weren't excused from these fashion regulations,
- Despite their length of colours,
- It may seem strange that employers have adopted this new practice,
- Female staff, regardless of their positions,
- Most people feel it's an unpleasant one,
- Their footwear, which was sturdy leather shoes or boots,
- Employees wore conservative clothing,
- Those who worked in England's multitude of offices,
@username - Your comments please
Log in to make comments