Rewrite the sentences
Inversion not only can be used to form questions and conditional sentences.
Also, we can use inversion for emphasis.
Little did she know how much work was left.
On no account must you sleep at school.
Never should you remember who's your boss.
Only then can you belong to me.
Here comes the sun.
All these structure are rather literary, which means there are more likely to appear in books
- Nobody has won so many matches for his team since 1994. (Not since)
Not since 1994 has anyone won so many matches for this team
- We won't consider you for the basketball team until you grow up. (Not until)
Not until you grow up will we consider
you for the basketball team
- You can't use my car at any time. (At no time)
At no time can you use my car
- She must definitely not be allowed to use this computer.(no account)
On no account must she be allowed to use this computer
- We could get the door open only by breaking the lock. (only)
Only by breaking the lock could we get the door open.
- Buffaloes are hardly seen in the area. (seldom)
Seldom are buffaloes seen in the area
- She had just started working when a loud bang broke her concentration (no sooner)
No sooner had she started working
than a loud bang broke her concentration
- She did not doubt at any time that he would make her happy.(at no time)
At no time did she doubt that he would make her happy.
- She'd never been in greater need of a friend (hardly)
Hardly has she ever been in greater need of a friend.
- I have hardly ever come across such a strange man.(seldom)
Seldom have I come across such a strange man.
- I had only just arrived when he insisted we went out again.(no sooner)
No sooner had I arrived than he
insisted on going out again.