(1) ___ General Assembly of Virginia solemnly passed
(2) ___ law declaring tobacco
(3) ___ only valid currency in
(4) ___ colony.
(5) ___ tobacco then remained
(6) ___ basis of Virginian currency for over
(7) ___ century.
This was not such
(8) ___ strange aberration as it might seem.
(9) ___ History shows that virtually anything scarce,
durable and desirable can become 10) ___ money.
In more recent times,
(11) ___ most varied objects have functioned as money, from
(12) ___ dogs' teeth in New Guinea to drums on
(13) ___ island of Alor in Indonesia.
In (14) ___ Thailand, most parts of a tiger could be used as
(15) ___ cash, including
(16) ___ claws and
(17) ___ tongue.
(18) ___ course of time, as in
(19) ___ China,
20) ___ real thing was replaced by 21) ___ replica.
Pieces of silver in (22) ___ shape of
(23) ___ tiger's tongue were still changing hands in Thailand only
(24) ___ few years ago.
(25) ___ greatest success story among strange currencies was undoubtedly
the cowries shell.
For many centuries it was accepted in payment through much of
(26) ___ Africa and Asia.
In the French Sudan, cowries remained an acceptable
currency for paying taxes until 1907,
when they at last succumbed to (27) ___
relentless advance of paper money and coins.
Article + ONLY The only / an only
A friend of mine was an only child. (only child = noun)
He was the only child in his family.
What is the plural of mother-in-law?
Substances and commodities Bread can be very fattening.
Sugar is sweet.
Money can be hard to come by.
Milk usually comes from cows. Please pass me the milk.
What's the difference between 1.The century 2. a century
The 21st century.
(But a century = one hundred years)
The SOMETHING of SOMETHING - a SOMETHING of SOMETHING
(measurement of quantity)
I had the history at my school. (INCORRECT)
I studied history when I was at school. (CORRECT)
My favourite subject at school was physics. a money (noun) (n)
I have a money (n)
Using the indefinite article for uncountable nouns.
This implies that there is a measurement. My best friend bought me a beer.
My best friend bought me a (glass of ) beer.
What is the difference in meaning between; a) most varied objects have functioned as money
b) The most varied objects have functioned as money,
THE MOST (Always with the definite article)
used to form the superlative of many adjectives and adverbs
Joanne is the most intelligent person I know.
The department needs three more computers in order to work most effectively
(= to work as effectively as possible).
Most = almost all (Without THE)
I don't eat meat, but I like most types of fish.
In this school, most of the children are from the Chinese community.
Countries without 'the' definite article
These are the exceptions
a) The Ukraine
b) The Netherlands
c) The Philippines
Parts of something
the (claws and tongue) the claws and the tongue.