Website by Ibiscuits
Grammar plus: modals (advanced features)
Practice the Advanced Exam with these Mock Tests.
See how you do before the real exam.
Match each of the following sentences to the idea they express.
- Couples can miss each other when separated.
- She could read before she started school.
- I've got to finish this work before I go to bed.
- You can't smoke in here.
- You ought to take better care of your dog.
- You must have had a great holiday. You look so well.
- You needn't come to the the airport with me.
- Can I use your car to pick up some shelves?
- theoretical possibility
- weak obligation
- strong obligation
- lack of obligation
What other modals can be used to express the ideas below?
EXAMPLE: permission - can, may
Go back to the 'Sweet Nothings' article and
find three examples of modals.
What ideas/meanings do they express?
Some of the sentences below are incorrect or don't make sense.
Change them as necessary.
- You don't have to bring a calculator into the exam room.
If you do, you will automatically fail.
- They might not have known that the main road was closed.
- Do I may leave early today? I'll come in at 8 a.m. tomorrow.
- You would better shut the window before you catch cold.
- Can't you to play any musical instrument?
- You might as well go home now.
There's nothing more you can do here.
- You should stay up until 11p.m. tonight as
it's your birthday but then you must go to bed.
- Do we have to visit our cousins on Sunday?
- Try as I might, I couldn't make him understand my point of view.
- The gift is beautiful but I couldn't possibly accept it.
- She can have misunderstood what you were trying to say.
Why else would she react so strangely?
- Oughn't we to have invited Pete and Sarah to the party?
- By the end of this month I hope
I can use this new computer programme without any difficulty.
Beginning with the words given,
make the second sentence in each case below mean
approximately the same as the first sentence.
- It's not a good idea to drink coffee just before you go to bed.
- I am as happy as it is possible for me to be.
- It's possible for it to get very cold here in winter.
- It's impossible that they took the car without asking.
- It's essential for all students to register by Wednesday at 11a.m.
- It really wasn't necessary for you to put up those shelves.
But I am glad you did.
- Perhaps they didn't realise how late it was.
- It would be inadvisable to book the flight until you are sure you can go.
- Isn't it necessary to switch the heating on manually?
It doesn't have a timer.
- It wouldn't have been right for me to let you pay for everything.
- It was wrong of her to call me all those names.
@username - Your comments please
Log in to make comments