Article practice - (I)
Complete the gaps with 'a', 'an', 'the' or 'X' (no article)
Add the definite or indefinite article to
the following names of streets, places, bridges,
building where necessary.
Regent Street runs from
Piccadilly Circus to
Strand are two famous London streets.
- Linda was standing at the corner of
St James's Park is near
- Harold marched north and defeated the Norsemen in a great battle near
Tower of London used to be a state prison.
- William the Conqueror was crowned King of England in
church is a place where people can meet other with whom they would like
to make friends.
- In the morning a lot of people go to ........church.
hospital is opposite the museum.
- Her weak point is not listening in
- She taught ____________
class in spite of feeling ill.
- We asked a solicitor for advice before going to
- As a result he was sent to
jail as a horse thief.
- When I was at
university I had a boy friend.
- However, by six o'clock
school is empty and the caretaker and the
cleaner can finish their work in peace.
- I shall see you at
- I won't be able to go to
Parliament in London makes laws for all the countries in the U.K.
- Even today it is
Parliament, rather than the Queen which governs
England and makes the laws.
- Side streets to the right of ____________
Fifth Avenue are called 41st
East Street etc.
while streets to the left are called
West Street etc.
- If I were in
Parliament I would spend enough money on hospitals.
St Paul's Cathedral is the second largest Christian church, second only to
St Peter's in Rome.
- The separation of
church and state is a cardinal American principle.
- The Queen is also Head of
Church of England to which, at least nominally,
the vast majority of Englishmen belong.
court is presided over by a judge,
but the decision on guilt or innocent is made by
a jury of twelve citizens chosen by
lot from the list of persons entitled to vote in elections.
- The chief building in Washington is
Capitol, the meeting-place of the American
parliament, known as Congress.
Congress decided that a new star should be added every time when a new state
joined the Union.
- The National Health Service
provides free medical treatment both in
hospital and outside.
- The dormitories and houses are important
assets to ____________
- Nothing but an old woman airing her dog,
and a weaving old man coming around the
corner from ____________
- As she rounded the corner of
Atlanta Hotel and came in full view the depot and the
tracks, she halted, horrified.
- The family doctor gives treatment or prescribes medicine,
or, if necessary, arranges for
the patient to go to
hospital or to be seen at home by a specialist.
- When Harry was arrested and jailed in Doge City,
a mob gathered, broke into ____________
removed him, and hanged him from a telegraph pole.
- At ____________
office he is the boss, but at home he plays second fiddle.
school has been added to several times.
What do you think?
Log in to make comments